Friday, June 24, 2005

news

Blogs are supposed to be about news. Eventually I will get around to commenting on the news. But news is a funny thing. It is all about gaps (see previous post). News revolves around anecdotes, faith, and pragmatism. When is the last time a news item dealt rationally with the big issues? What a news item calls a "big" issue - like war, famine, or love - is usually a relatively small issue. That is, these things are small in relation to the bigger items. If we can't get the bigger items right, then we are just wasting out time on the small ones.

In this Blog I want to get the assumptions right, and THEN move on to talk about news items.

If we really don't know what we are doing, why do we think we do? The simple answer is evolution. Like ants in an ant hill, we are all busy doing things that seem very important to us at the time. But we really don't know why in any absolute sense. Just as with ants, the real motor driving us is evolution. We behave this way because last time it seemed to work. But we don't know why.

At this point it is tempting to link to alternative news sources. There are web sites that give news from a different perspective. But these things can be very depressing. And arguing about these things can take up all your free time. I don't like being depressed, and I don't like having no time. I prefer to find answers to my problems. So we'll stick to the big issues, then move on to the news items later. Is that OK with you? Thanks.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ann said...

Blogs are supposed to be about whatever you want them to be about. My blog is an online journal, really. I self-edit (obviously) because it's on the net.

You don't HAVE to write about news unless you want to. I know I would appreciate news about when Doctor Who is coming to America.

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home