Wednesday, August 10, 2005

property: even Microsoft understand it

This morning I used Windows Update as usual, and Microsoft decided to check if the software on my computer is legitimate. It is - I haven't used pirate stuff in years (and even then it was when the alternative was far worse). But I bought my computer from a major UK shopping catalog (I think it was Littlewoods Index - a VERY big company here). My supplier got it from an obscure company called Qtech. Qtech don't even have a web site, and they don't show up on any list of approved suppliers. So Microsoft gave me a message that suggests they don't trust me. They didn't say so, but the implication was clear ("problems... problems in the future"). If this causes problems and I am sufficiently irritated, I may finally join the side of righteousness and install Linux.

Why does this matter? It illustrates why land rent is inevitable. Because everyone has a natural understanding that property means causality. Legally, according to current laws, Microsoft is wrong to hassle me. I bought my computer from a legitimate source, I use legitimate software (unless you include using shareware products way too long, but that's nothing to do with Bill Gates). "Legally" I am safe. But really the case is simple. Microsoft created Windows, and so they can do what they like with it. If my case went to court, they would probably win. And not just because they have a ton of money and lawyers. Deep down, regardless of what the paperwork says, everyone knows that if you create something you own it. You can sell it, in which case you have caused or created the idea of ownership, but in this case Microsoft have made abundantly clear that they never sell Windows - they just give people permission to use it for a while. That's their choice. If I don't like it, I can go elsewhere.

I am not saying that Microsoft are right in everything they do, or even very nice. I will never forget what they did to boot sectors (they used their power to make sure that computer retailers made dual-boot computers as difficult as possible). They have their share of sins. But the bottom line is that creation equals causality. Everyone knows it. Eventually, as communications increase and theft becomes harder to justify, the legal framework will catch up. And then we will have land rent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home