Tuesday, July 05, 2005

can you recommend a news site?

Every morning I check the BBC for the latest headlines. But I don't want to only rely on one news source, so I also check CNN. I try to avoid partisan services like Fox, or the smaller niche suppliers. But nearly every morning, CNN seems to ignore the big news (that is, news that affects the lives of millions of people). For example, this morning the top BBC story is the G8 summit (again) -a real opportunity to make a serious dent in world poverty. But CNN does not mention it anywhere on their front page. Instead, we have yet another human interest story - a great big photograph of an eight year old girl reunited with her parents. This is very nice for her, but what about the thousands of eight year old girls who are separated from their parents every day due to war, famine and disease?

Can anyone recommend a major US news channel that gives priority to the big topics? I am increasingly frustrated with CNN.

4 Comments:

Blogger Miranda said...

It's not a television media outlet, but I like New York Times. I also check out CBC, which isn't based out of the US, but it does hightlight a North American perspective.

For the Brit perspective, I always check out the Guardian. The BBC feels a little too marketed and slick to me.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Trail Seeker said...

I can't recommend a news sight, but I did want to mention a previous blog of yours "god of the gaps". I have never heard it put that way, but it sure makes sense to me. If we learn enough, would god get squeezed out of existance, seems like it is happening to me. Out of all the religious ideas, the two things that I could hope for would be a loving God and some kind of blissful eternal life. I still have some hope for that, but there is little evidence to support that.

My blog is suspended because I came to a point where I need to move on, it is still up and I am debating whether to update it. It is filled with more personnal thoughts, trail logs, and nothing to deep. trail-seeker.blogspot.com

4:22 PM  
Blogger Randy said...

The NY times is good, so is washingtonpost.com. MSNBC.com links to the Wash. Post and to Newsweek magazine. BTW, if you're interested, my own corner of cyberspace is www.dumpster.blogspot.com.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Chris Tolworthy said...

Thanks for the suggestions! I've added your blogs to my links (you may need to 'refresh' to see them), and I'll look at the news sites in the morning. Thanks again.

Trail Seeker said...
"the two things that I could hope for would be a loving God and some kind of blissful eternal life"

...gives me an idea for another short blog entry :)

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home