Saturday, June 25, 2005

I have a dream

It's a funny old world. Everyone says that money is not the most important thing to them, yet we spend most of our time earning it. In the same way, most women say they prefer gentle, sensitive men, but given the choice between an idiot in a fast car and a bookworm, we all know who is chosen. What we say and what we do are not the same thing. But back to the subject of money.

Compared with fifty years ago, we (in the west) are almost all much wealthier. We have houses and cars and TVs and videos and so many other luxuries. Compared with a hundred years ago we all live like kings. Compared with a thousand, or ten thousand years ago, we live like gods.

I want to return to a living standard of fifty years ago, and use the rest of my time and money for more useful things. I don't mean have everything like it was fifty years ago - some things back then were more expensive - computers for example. But I mean living with the same tiny house and limited food, no car (if possible), etc. Then I want to spend my spare time and spare money on things that really matter (See the other post on priorities).

I want to be the impoverished artist in his garret, working on truly great and important things. I can't do it now because I have commitments to my wife and children, but one day I will do it. I hope I can find someone who feels the same way. I can't offer any money. I can't offer anything but a crazy dream and a faraway look in my eye. But I have a dream and one day I will live that dream, even if I have to do it alone. But I hope I won't be alone. I don't like being alone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home